Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I made this up the other night after I started to make Mirjam's Penne Arrabiatta (#22941) but discovered I was missing a few ingredients. Like the Italian dish I meant to make, this one is also spicy and loaded with garlic. I'm sure it would be even more flavourful with fresh herbs, but dried ones were all I had on hand.
- 4 -5 fresh and juicy tomatoes, chopped (preferrably vine-ripened)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 -4 large button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1⁄8 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup of your favourite cooked salsa
- 1 chicken breasts, cooked and diced or 1 cup quorn pieces (vegetarian substitute)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a frying pan and sauté the onions and mushrooms until soft, about two minutes.
- Add the water, tomatoes (with all their seeds and juice), garlic, oregano, basil, parsley and hot sauce.
- Simmer over low heat for 6-10 minutes or until tomatoes are soft and enough water has evaporated to form a relatively thick sauce.
- Add salsa and chicken.
- Simmer until heated through.
- Cook pasta of your choice (I like fusilli or penne) until al dente.
- Serve sauce over hot pasta, top with parmesan cheese and freshly ground black pepper.
Everyone inhaled this! I used a large can of diced tomatoes (they aren't great in Michigan in January!), omitted the mushrooms, and cut the Tabasco in half to make it more kid friendly. Used a whole pound of rotini. Thanks Sackville!
This was really wonderful! Full of flavor and veggies and perfect for my Fiance who loves it Hot :) We enjoyed this a great deal served over whole-wheat pasta and it made plenty of food. Thanks!
Just what I was looking for! I had some left over chicken that already has a bit of lemon Garlic flavor & decided that it could meld into this recipe- It tango'd, it rhumba'd and it did the Salsa all with perfect timing and in good taste. I used 2 tbsp Denzil's Kamakazi hot sauce. Served over linguine with a small green side salad This is a flavorful easy recipe that will stay in my favorite pasta recipes - Thanks Sackville Girl glad you didn't have all the ingredients for the other recipe