1 hr 40 mins
Posted in reply to a message board request. Recipe is from the Fleischmann's Yeast Book. This recipe makes a very nice light whole wheat loaf. Prep time does not include the 2 to 24 hour refrigerated "rising" time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix flours together.
- 2In a large bowl, thoroughly mix 2 1/2 cups flour mixture, sugar, salt and undissolved yeast.
- 3Combine milk, water and margarine in a sauce pan.
- 4Heat over low heat until liquids are very warm (120°-130°F), margarine does not need to melt.
- 5Gradually add warm liquids to dry ingredients and beat mixture at medium speed of mixer for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- 6Add 1 cup flour to mixture.
- 7Beat at high speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- 8Stir in enough additional flour mixture to make a stiff dough.
- 9Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- 10Cover dough with plastic wrap, then a towel, and let dough rest for 20 minutes.
- 11Divide dough in half.
- 12Roll each half into a 14 x 9-inch rectangle.
- 13Starting at the 9-inch end, roll dough up like a jelly roll.
- 14Place each roll into a greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- 15Brush loaves with peanut oil and cover with plastic wrap.
- 16Refrigerate dough for 2 to 24 hours.
- 17When ready to bake, remove from refrigerator and carefully remove plastic wrap.
- 18Let pans stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- 19Using a greased toothpick or skewer, puncture any gas bubbles that may have formed.
- 20Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for about 40 minutes, or until done.
- 21Remove bread from pans and cool on wire racks.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Make Now, Bake Later Whole Wheat Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1761 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2182.3
- Calories from Fat 341
- Total Fat 37.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 34.1 mg
- Sodium 3894.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 396.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 26.8 g
- Sugars 20.3 g
- Protein 66.4 g