Summer entertaining just got more delicious. These grilled pork kabobs are tender, juicy and so easy to customize with your favorite combination of herbs and vegetables.
- 1 lb boneless pork loin roast or 1 lb tenderloin, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard or 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 small red pepper or small orange sweet bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares*
- 6 ounces shiitake mushroom caps or 6 ounces white mushroom caps, halved if needed*
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 3/4-inch pieces*
- 1⁄4 cup pepper jelly or 1⁄4 cup orange marmalade, melted
- 8 skewers
- In a self-sealing plastic bag combine cubed pork, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger and Dijon-style mustard (or Chinese Five Spice); seal bag and refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours.
- Prepare medium-hot fire with charcoal or preheat gas to medium high.
- Remove pork from marinade, reserving marinade. Thread pork, sweet peppers, mushrooms, and zucchini alternately onto 8 skewers. Brush or drizzle with reserved marinade. Grill kabobs directly over fire, turning to brown evenly, for 5 minutes. Brush kabobs with the melted jelly. Continue to grill for 3 to 10 minutes more or until tender. Let rest 3 minutes before serving.
- *Kabob ingredients don’t need to be limited to the vegetables listed. There are several ways to customize kabobs; try incorporating cherry tomatoes, broccoli (precooked until crisp-tender), pineapple chunks (fresh or canned), yellow summer squash, red onion wedges, baby carrots (precooked until crisp-tender), halved tiny new potatoes (precooked until tender) or try adding fresh sprigs of herbs.