Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe was taken from steamykitchen.com. I needed a recipe that would turn my regular grocery store steaks into something amazing for a special celebration dinner that didn't cost $100, and came across this website. The site is funny, informative, and the technique really works even though it sounds completely bizarre at first. Even though I've included the necessary steps, for full detail and pictures, go to the following link: http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/08/28/how-to-turn-cheap-choice-steaks-into-gucci-prime-steaks/
- 1 -2 lb steak, any cut
- 1 cup sea salt
- 1 -2 tablespoon basil (optional) or 1 -2 tablespoon garlic (optional) or 1 -2 tablespoon rosemary (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Cover both sides of steak with salt (and seasonings if you are using any) - be very, very liberal, since most of the salt will be washed off!
- Leave on for 15 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the steak size. (Not longer than an hour!).
- Wash away the surface salt and water and pat steak(s) very, very dry.
- Season with pepper, no more salt is needed.
- Grill or broil to your liking.
- If pan frying or oven cooking steak, add 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter to steak bits and juices. The sauce is better than A-1!
I left the salt on for a full hour and it was a little saltier than I would have liked, so I'll definitely cut it down next time... but even my husband, who doesn't usually like steak, said it was one of the best he's ever tasted. And I pan-fried it, which doesn't usually turn out all that well. So I think it helped!