Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
For anyone who hates the frantic frenzied scramble at the last minute to make the turkey gravy while the rest of the food is getting cold, here's my recipe for Make-Ahead Turkey Gravy. You can make it up to 3 days in advance, it refrigerates wonderfully, and warms up in the microwave.
- 3 turkey drumsticks
- 1 turkey neck
- 1 turkey gizzard, from the bird
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth or 5 cups home-made chicken stock or 5 cups low-sodium turkey stock
- 1 cup dry white wine or 1 cup dry vermouth
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 450ºF.
- Place turkey parts, carrots, celery, and onion in a roasting pan; toss lightly with oil. (Line the pan with foil for easy cleanup.).
- Roast for 1 hour, then transfer the vegetables to a Dutch oven or large pot. Roast the turkey parts an additional 30 minutes.
- Transfer turkey parts and any juices to the Dutch oven. Add broth, wine and thyme. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer until visibly reduced; about 25 minutes.
- Strain out solids and refrigerate strained stock for 2 hours.
- Skim off excess congealed fat.
- Heat butter until bubbling in a saucier or medium saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook to a honey-colored roux.
- Whisk in strained stock stirring briskly, and bring to a boil. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in microwave oven.