Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a great fool proof recipe for make ahead gravy.
- 4 turkey wings (about 3 lbs.) or 3 turkey legs
- 2 medium onions (peeled and quartered)
- 1 cup water or 1 cup wine
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Have a large roasting pan ready.
- Arrange wings in single layer in pan.
- Scatter onions over top.
- Roast 1 1/4 hours or until wings are browned.
- Put wings and onions into 5-6 quart pot.
- Add water to pan and stir to scrape up any brown bits on bottom; add to the pot.
- Add 6 cups broth (refrigerate remaining 2 cups), the carrot, and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove wings to a cutting board.
- When cool pull off skin and meat.
- Discard skin and save meat for another use.
- Strain broth into 3 quart saucepan, pressing vegetables to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Discard veggies and skim fat off broth.
- Whisk flour into remaining 2 cups of broth until smooth.
- Bring broth in saucepan to a boil, slowly whisk in flour mixture, boil 3-4 minutes to thicken and remove floury taste.
- Stir in butter and pepper.
- Refrigerate up to one week or freeze up to three months.