1/4 Photos of Make Ahead Turkey Gravy
2 hrs 30 mins
Dona England's Note:
This recipe is from Women's Day Magazine 11/1999. It's a life saver for me, it takes some of the stress from Thanksgiving Day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oven to 400°F.
- 2Arrange wings in a single layer in a large roasting pan.
- 3Scatter onions over top.
- 4Roast 1 1/4 hours until wings are browned.
- 5Put wings and onions in a 5-6 quart pot.
- 6Add water to roasting pan and stir to scrape up any brown bits on the bottom.
- 7Add the brown bits to the pot.
- 8Add 6 cups broth (refrigerate the remaining 2 cups) add carrot and thyme.
- 9Bring to a boil.
- 10Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 1 1/2 hours.
- 11Remove wings to cutting board.
- 12Save wing meat for another use if you wish, or discard.
- 13Strain broth into a 3 quart saucepan, pressing vegetables to extract as much liquid as possible.
- 14Discard vegetables.
- 15Skim fat off broth and discard.
- 16If time permits, refrigerate broth overnight to make fat skimming easier.
- 17Whisk flour into remaining 2 cups broth until well blended.
- 18Bring broth in pot to a gentle boil.
- 19Whisk in broth flavored mixture and boil 3-4 minutes to thicken gravy and cook flour.
- 20Stir in butter and pepper.
- 21Serve now or freeze up to 6 months.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Make Ahead Turkey Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (3991 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 612.0
- Calories from Fat 305
- Total Fat 33.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 169.0 mg
- Sodium 1168.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 54.7 g