Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These tuna burgers remind me of my mom, and they're a really good way to take advantage of both my freezer and the cheap day-old rolls at the local bakery. Enjoy!
- 6 whole wheat rolls, preferably crusty ones
- 2 (195 g) cans tuna fish
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated gouda cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons tartar sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- hot sauce
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl except for rolls and hot sauce. The mixture should be moist. If not, add a bit more tartar sauce.
- Cut each roll in half and remove some of the bread inside to make a small indentation. (Skip this step if you are using hamburger-style rolls.) Spoon 1/6th of the mixture into the roll. Drizzle tuna fish mixture with hot sauce, close roll & wrap sandwich in foil. (To reduce onion flavor, cook it beforehand in a bit of oil.).
- Bake at 180C/350F for 12 minutes in foil. Remove from foil and allow to bake another 3 minutes or until crusty. Also freezes well.