Recipe by lorriemartin1
My family loves scalloped potatoes but this recipe is one that you can make ahead and save a working mom some time.I found this recipe in woman's world 3/1/05
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced (8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Line 2 baking sheets with paper towels. In a pot combine potatoes with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil; Drain.
- Arrange on baking sheets.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat melt butter and add leeks.Cook until softened, 3 minutes.
- Whisk together next 6 ingredients in shallow 2 1/2 quart baking dish layer half of potatoes, half of leeks and 1/2 cup swiss cheese.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups half and half cream mixture over cheese.
- Repeat layering, reserving remaining Swiss cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Remove from refrigerator 1 1/2 hrs before baking.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake covered until bubbly, 1 hour,15 minutes.
- Preheat Broiler.
- Uncover casserole; sprinkle with remaining swiss cheese.
- Broil until just browned, 3 minutes.
- MAKE IT IMMEDIATELY! AND SKIP REFRIDERATING THE CASSEROLE AND REDUCE BAKING TIME BY 30 MINUTES.