Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
I love sushi so much, sometimes I crave it so badly! I find that if I make the rice from scratch when a craving by the time I have finished I have gone past hungry or can't be bothered anymore. I discovered this method by accident and it makes a good sushi I also think it makes the rice easier to handle when rolling. Note: The amounts for the dressing are for enough to coat 4 cups of cooked rice. Reduce amounts if you are using less, otherwise your rice will be too sloppy to do anything with.
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 3 cups water
Dressing (after defrosting)
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons mirin
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the rice by your desired method. I use a rice cooker and find I need about 2 1/2 cups water and a small knob of butter.
- If you prefer to use a pan use the directions in recipe #176527.
- When the rice is frozen, pack it tightly into a small cup (my rice cooker came with a 1/2 cup measurer which I use).
- Turn out onto a plate and leave to cool slightly. When cool place in freezer on plate until completely cold and easy to handle without breaking. At this stage transfer to a freezer bag and store tightly closed.
- When the rice is needed, remove from freezer in morning and leave in fridge or leave out on the side (this takes about an hour).
- Crumble the rice with your hands and mix together the ingredients for the dressing. Stir through the rice.
- Microwave for 1 minute to take the chill off.
- Give the rice a good stir and use to make sushi. Each 1/2 cup timbale makes 1 sushi "log".