Most of the work for this salad can be done ahead. I have made it a few times and my family and guests really enjoyed it. I got the recipe from the Canadian Living Barbecue plus Cookbook Summer 2005.
- 8 cups Baby Spinach
- 4 cups torn boston lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced red onions or 1⁄2 cup radish
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushroom
- 1⁄3 cup diced gouda cheese or 1⁄3 cup havarti cheese (optional) or 1⁄3 cup goat cheese (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup toasted sliced almonds (optional) or 1⁄4 cup chopped hazelnuts (optional)
Lemon Chive Dressing
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or 2 tablespoons green onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch granulated sugar
- In large bowl, toss spinach with lettuce. Top with onion and mushrooms. (Salad may be covered and refrigerated for up to 4 hours).
- Mix together dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over greens. Add cheese and nuts if using. Toss to coat.