Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Most of the work for this salad can be done ahead. I have made it a few times and my family and guests really enjoyed it. I got the recipe from the Canadian Living Barbecue plus Cookbook Summer 2005.
- 8 cups Baby Spinach
- 4 cups torn boston lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced red onions or 1⁄2 cup radish
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushroom
- 1⁄3 cup diced gouda cheese or 1⁄3 cup havarti cheese (optional) or 1⁄3 cup goat cheese (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup toasted sliced almonds (optional) or 1⁄4 cup chopped hazelnuts (optional)
Lemon Chive Dressing
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or 2 tablespoons green onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch granulated sugar
- In large bowl, toss spinach with lettuce. Top with onion and mushrooms. (Salad may be covered and refrigerated for up to 4 hours).
- Mix together dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over greens. Add cheese and nuts if using. Toss to coat.
Excellent salad! It was easy to put together and the dressing is very fresh tasting. I left of the nuts, used Gouda and used chives in the dressing. I used my stick blender for the dressing like another reviewer. Thanks for posting! I'll be making this salad again. Made for PAC Fall 2009.
Excellent summer time salad. Very fresh tasting. The salad was made with the baby spinach, torn hearts or romaine, sliced radish and smoked Gouda cheese. Just realized I left off the sliced almonds. The ingredients for the dressing was placed into a small jar and shook to blend. Made for *PAC Autumn 2008*
Very good salad. I used butter lettuce and baby spinach, red onion and radishes, gouda cheese and toasted almonds. The dressing I used a stick blender to blend together, the dressing turned a light green with the green onion in it. I used fresh lemon juice and a little bit of zest of the lemon as well very fresh tasting we enjoyed this salad. Served with chicken thanks for sharing this recipe. Made for PAC spring 08