Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Great for weekends when you have guests.
Top Review by Sunflower
I made this for my family over the weekend. This is a fine do-ahead brunch casserole. The eggs were soft. The mushroom and broccoli were good add-ins. They bring flavor and color where ever they go. The rich cheese sauce makes the eggs so scrumptious. Thanks Nurse Di, for another delicious recipe :)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter.
- Add flour; cook and stir until the mixture begins to bubble.
- Gradually stir in milk; bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in cheese until melted; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender.
- Add eggs and salt; cook and stir until the eggs are completely set.
- Add the cheese sauce and broccoli; mix well.
- Pour into a greased 11x7 inch baking dish.
- Melt the remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle over egg mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown.