No precooking the sausage as per another recipezaar cook worked great! After going through a lot of recipes, I combined several to come up with this one. I served these Christmas day and they were a big hit. The mushrooms themselves came out a perfect texture. I know a lot of people say this, but make more than you think you need. These were gone in minutes. It was so great to just pull them out ready to go and simply cook and eat. Saved me prep time on day before too by not precooking the sausage. I was using the bottom of the bag of my stuffing mix and had a little less than 1/2 c so I crushed up the croutons and threw them in. Timing is hard to say on the Prep, cleaning the mushrooms is the hardest and longest task to this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 25 medium mushrooms, approximately
- 8 ounces bulk sausage, I used 1/2 roll of Owens regular flavor
- 1/2 cup herb seasoned stuffing mix, I used Pepperidge Farm
- 3 tablespoons crushed ranch garlic-flavored croutons (optional)
- 4 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, I used Kraft in the cannister
- 1Twist and remove stems on mushrooms.
- 2Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel.
- 3Place, hole side up, on paper towels (if making ahead), in 9x13 cake pan or casserole dish. The towels help with the moisture of the mushrooms, they also should not be touching.
- 4Mix all other ingredients well and press into cavity in mushrooms.
- 5Bake as follows or Cover and refrigerate overnight or until about 45 minutes before desired cooking time to bring close to room temperature before baking.
- 6Uncover and remove paper towels.
- 7Sprinkle a little more parmesan over tops of filling.
- 8Add about 1/2 c water to pan.
- 9Bake 325 for 25-30 minutes Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Brunch Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brunch Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Make Ahead Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (80 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 125.7
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 33.0 mg
- Sodium 254.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 9.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herb seasoned stuffing mix