Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 hrs 15 mins
Prepare the night before and just pop in the oven in the morning!
- 1 lb smoked spicy sausage, cut into 3/8-inch slices (andouille, chorizo or kielbasa)
- 1 large onion, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) bag frozen potato slices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (12 oz)
- 12 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. In 12-inch skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sausage begins to brown; drain if necessary. Add onion; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly softened. Add both bell peppers;.
- cook and stir 1 minute. Add garlic; cook and stir 30 seconds or until softened.
- Spread half of potatoes in bottom of baking dish. Sprinkle with i/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Layer with half of sausage mixture and half of cheese. Repeat layers.
- In large bowl, beat eggs and milk with wire whisk. Pour over layers in baking dish. Cover; refrigerate 8 hours or overnight but no longer than 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 350°F Loosely cover baking dish with sheet of nonstick foil or regular foil sprayed with cooking spray (nonstick or sprayed side down). Bake 1 hour 30 minutes to 1 hour 40 minutes or until set and potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes before cutting.