Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Italian sausages with casings removed or bulk Italian sausage meat may be used in place of the small pork breakfast sausages --- make two pans if you are serving more than 5 people, feel free to add in other ingredients to the sausage mixture, the cheese amount may be adjusted to taste --- these are delicious!
Top Review by Camden's Mom
This was terrific! I made it for Mother's Day and everyone was raving. As a bonus, it reheated nicely in the microwave a few days later, too. The pepper seemed like way too much after I mixed it in. Luckily, like many spices it floats, so I let it stick to the liquid measuring cup I used to transfer the egg mixture from the bowl to the casserole dish and then rinsed the cup between transfers. I'm so glad I did - most of the pepper was removed that way, and I thought it still had a smidgeon too much. It was still wonderful, though, so it's worth 5 stars in spite of that one little thing.
- 1 lb small pork sausage (chopped into small pieces or crumbled)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 10 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided (use about 2 tablespoons for each tortilla, can use more to taste)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped (use green or red)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese (or to taste)
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat cook the sausages with onion, crumbling the meat while cooking, until completely cooked; cool completely.
- Place about 1/3 cup of the cooked sausage mixture down the center of each tortilla.
- Sprinkle the mixture with about 2 tablespoons shredded cheese (can use more).
- Roll up each tortilla and place seam-side down into the casserole dish.
- In a bowl whisk together flour with half and half cream, cayenne pepper, seasoned salt and black pepper until well combined.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs with flour, cream cayenne pepper and 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt and black pepper.
- Add in the green bell pepper, then pour over the top of the tortillas.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 45 minutes before baking.
- When ready to bake set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes, then uncover and continue to bake for another 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle about 1-1/2 cups of shredded cheese on top (can use more or less) return to oven for 2-3 minutes just to melt the cheese.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with sour cream and salsa.