Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
This is adapted from an old TOH Quick Cooking recipe that has saved my tail many times. I keep them on hand in the freezer for those crazy busy times when I don't have time to cook.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 3⁄4 cup chopped sweet gherkin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 hot dog buns, split
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, add the beef, onion, and garlic; cook and crumble up the meat until the meat is not pink; drain.
- Add in the ketchup, pickles, salt, pepper, and hot sauce; stir and heat through.
- Add in cheese; stir to combine.
- To serve immediately: spoon 1/3 cup mixture into buns and serve.
- To freeze and serve later: Fill buns with 1/3 cup mixture; wrap individually in heavy-duty foil; seal tightly; will freeze up to 3 months.
- To use frozen sandwiches: Bake at 400° in foil for 30-35 minutes or until heated.