Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Easy, delicious, and make ahead so that you don't have to rush to have a great meal on the table for your guests. From my Great Aunt Linda. Cook time is overnight refrigeration time.
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 1⁄2-7 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, melted
- Mix warm water and yeast in a a large bowl; add sugar and salt and mix. Add three cups of flour (mix), add shortening and egg (mix). Add three more cups flour; if dough is thin add 1/2 cup more flour.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a bowl, put the dough in, turn to coat, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. In the morning you are ready for your rolls!
- About two hours before baking cut off amount needed (return other half to fridge) and shape into rolls.* Place in a greased pan and set rolls on it, let rise until double (about 1 1/2 hours)
- Brush with melted butter and bake at 350 degrees F until lightly golden, around 20-30 minutes.
- *NOTE: For cresent shaped rolls roll dough into a circle, cut wedges, and roll up. For clover leaf rolls, roll dough into small balls and place 3 balls per greased cupcake pan cup.