Recipe by Just_Ducky!!
These delicious meatballs are easy to make because you don't have to brown them. They are our modified recipe from a kids cookbook. My boys love helping to make them and they always disappear at pot luck meals. These meatballs are great as a main course served over your favourite rice or as an appetizer. It also cooks up nicely in a slow cooker. I double the recipe (two pans) for potlucks as they go so fast. The do really well made ahead of time. Refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months. Note: I strongly recommend using extra lean ground beef. If you use regular ground beef, you should bake them ahead and refrigerate them. The fat will harden on top and can easily be taken off, then reheat the meatballs in the oven, stove top or microwave.
Top Review by Susie D
I am not assigning stars until I prepare this recipe again as I had problems. The biggest problem was me not throughly reading the recipe so feel free to giggle. I jumped in and the mistakes altered the recipe. The first thing is one should use COOKED rice & the recipe plainly states that fact. I failed to take note of that important information and added 1 cup of UNcooked rice. At the end of the cooking time I had crunchy rice and beautifully glazed meatballs. The crunchy had to go so I added water and continued baking. The rice finally cooked, but the lovely sauce was almost totally gone and the balls were much more rice than meat. I am only posting my experience so hopefully no one else makes the same mistake. I do plan to try the recipe again & will update when I do. Made for ZWT7 and apparently my hubby's amusement.
- 175 ml ketchup
- 15 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 15 ml vinegar
- 30 ml brown sugar
- 398 ml pineapple slices, drained
- 125 ml sweet onions, chopped
- 500 g extra lean ground beef
- 125 ml cooked rice, we prefer brown rice
- 50 ml milk
- 1 ml sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a small bowl, combine the first four ingredients until sugar dissolves.
- Using cooking spray or olive oil, grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the last five ingredients, mixing well with your hands.
- Roll into 2 cm balls and place, single layer into the casserole dish.
- Lay drained pineapple slices over the top of the meatballs, single layer.
- Pour sauce over meatballs & pineapples.
- Bake for 60 minutes.
- Serve immediately or let cool and refrigerate or freeze.