Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is one sandwich that actually tastes better if made hours in advance which makes it a perfect choice for picnics or to take to an event. The amounts listed are only a guidline, you can adjust the amounts to taste.
- 1 loaf sourdough bread, unsliced (use about a 1-pound loaf)
- 1⁄2 cup vinaigrette dressing (purchased or homemade)
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber (chopped finely)
- 1 firm tomatoes (chopped finely)
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced chives (or use green onion)
- 4 ounces sliced provolone cheese (or use Swiss)
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and thinly slices (about 12 thin slices)
- 9 ounces deli turkey, thinly sliced
- 15 slices salami, thinly sliced
- 6 slices red onions (can use more)
- black pepper (optional)
- Using a serrated knife horizontally slice about 1-inch off the top of the bread loaf.
- Pull the soft center from bottom half of the loaf, making a shell with about 1/2-inch thick walls (reserve the soft bread for another use).
- In a bowl mix the vinaigrette dressing with chopped cucumber, tomato and chives.
- Brush or spoon about half of the mixture evenly over the interior of the bread shell, also spooon enough dressing on the cut side of the loaf to moisten.
- Layer the cheese slices, then bell pepper slices, turkey, salami and onion in the shell.
- Sprinkle with black pepper if desired.
- Drizzle any remaining dressing over the filling.
- Set the bread top over filling.
- Wrap the sandwich in plastic wrap and chill for a minimum of 3 hours or up to 1 day.
- Unwrap and slice into desired portions.