Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
An easy breakfast dish which will bake while you shower and get ready.
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 6 slices of thick stale bread
- In large, shallow dish, combine egg, cream, brown sugar, orange juice, and spices.
- Place bread in mixture; leave 5 minutes. Turn bread over; leave 5-10 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
- (If preparing ahead of time, cover and refrigerate overnight.)
- Transfer bread to non-stick cookie sheet or cookie sheet lined with buttered foil.
- Bake at 375° F (190° C) for 10 minutes.
- Turn carefully and bake 10-15 minutes longer, or until puffed and golden.
- Drizzle with warmed syrup, or sift icing sugar on top, and serve with fresh fruit.
Thanks for posting NR. Truth be told I didn't even get any nor did I get a picture. The two kids ate 3 pieces a piece and deemed it fantastic. They could taste the slight orangy flavor but the brown sugar was the key ingredient. They loved the consistency. The only problem DH and I didn't get any! We will definitely make again but two batches. We usually make these on a griddle but have to watch it and do the work. This way you just put it in the oven and go. Definitely a good breakfast treat for breakfast or breakfast for dinner. Enjoy! ChefDLH
Great standard recipe for Baked French Toast! I took it out of the oven prematurely, thinking it was ready (after 5 minutes on the second side), but it did need to stay in longer as specified so that the inside could cook through. I microwaved for 30 seconds after the fact and it was fine. I look forward to making this again!