Recipe by Chef mariajane
Dinner is ready and waiting in the refrigerator with this make-ahead casserole. If you like food on the hot and spicy side, stir the jalapenos right into the tomato sauce mixture.
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (340 ml) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (213 ml) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 3 large floured tortillas
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green olives
- 1⁄2 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1⁄4 cup sliced pickled jalapeno pepper, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook garlic, onion, ground beef, chili powder and cumin for 10 minutes until beef is browned and completely cooked.
- Drain if necessary.
- Stir in beans; set aside.
- Combine sour cream and flour until smooth; set aside. Combine tomato sauce and salsa; set aside.
- Place 1 1/2 tortillas in the bottom of lightly oiled 8 cup rectangular baking dish, overlapping slightly.
- Top with half each meat mixture, sour cream mixture and tomato sauce mixture.
- Repeat layers. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hour.
- Bake in 350F oven for 30 minutes until bubbly. Top with cheese, olives, chips and jalapenos; bake for 5 minutes.