Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
You'll love having this side dish handy. Recipe makes 7 cups of mashed potatoes.
Make and share this Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes (Oamc) recipe from Food.com.
- 5 lbs any potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 pinch paprika
- ASSEMBLY DIRECTIONS:.
- Peel and quarter potatoes.
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover completely with water.
- Bring to a boil, then gently cook until tender.
- Drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, cream cheese, egg, garlic powder and salt.
- Mash well by hand or with and electric mixer.
- Spoon potatoes into spray-treated or greased 3 quart casserole or 9x13 pan.
- Drizzle or brush melted butter over potatoes.
- Sprinkle with paprika for color if desired.
- FREEZING AND COOKING:.
- Label and freeze in freezer bags.
- TO SERVE:.
- Thaw completely.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes until the top is golden.
These are the best! I doubled the recipe when my husband came into a great deal on 10#s of potatoes. Then I froze some in zipper bags and some in 6 oz glass dishes. Once frozen, I popped them out of the dishes and into zipper bags, so we could cook individual portions. Great for teenagers with wacky schedules.
I am so glad I found this recipe. We just think they are great! I make only slight changes due to personal preferences. # 1, after potatoes have cooked and drained, I put them back into pot and throw a linen towel over them and set the pot on a burner set on low so the potatoes dry out and steam to fluffy goodness. After that I use a potato ricer before whipping. We do not like lumps in our mashies. #2, I use more butter and season a little heavier. Thank you so much for a wonderful idea.
We really enjoyed this - I did add 1/2 cup milk to the recipe to make it creamier. As somebody else said, it seemed more like a baked potato texture until I added the milk. I have some in the freezer for future dinners. This is great for a working mom!