Recipe by CountryLady
You don't have to make this dish ahead of time but it makes those special occasion dinners less hectic to prepare!
Top Review by sugarpea
This was great! I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I don't like grey Brussels sprouts that taste like cabbage. The vinegar and sugar totally eliminate that possibility. Just delicious!
- 8 cups small Brussels sprouts (about 1 3/4 lbs)
- 1 large red onion, peeled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse sprouts, trim stems& remove loose outer leaves.
- Cut a cross in the stem bottoms.
- If larger than a walnut, cut in half.
- Seal in a plastic bag& refrigerate until ready to cook- up to 2 days.
- Slice onion into rings& cut rings in half.
- Saute in butter over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, sugar, vinegar, pepper& salt (if using unsalted broth) and bring to a boil.
- let cool, place in a covered jar& refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- To assemble, combine sprouts& jar contents in a large pan set over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low.
- Partially cover& boil gently, stirring often, until sprouts are fork-tender, from 15- 17 minutes.
- Place in a serving dish& sprinkle with dill.