Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Finally an answer to the question that has been around OAMC for awhile. A frozen filling for pies. This is from "The Clever Cook's Kitchen Handbook by David Joachim.
- Trim fruit of peels, stems, leaves and seeds. Cut into 1/2" wedges or chunks and place in a large skillet.
- Add butter, sugar lemon juice, and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat until fruit starts to soften and release it juices, about 4 minutes.
- Add more sugar if necessary. Do not overcook.
- Cool the filling. Mix in cornstarch.
- Spoon into a zipper-lock plastic bag and refrigerate up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 4 months.
- Thaw and pour into a 9" pie shell.
- Bake at 375°F until filling is bubbly and crust in lightly browned, 25-35 minutes.
I halved this recipe to make the raspberry filling for Raspberry Cream Cheese Bread - Raspberry Cream Cheese Bread.
A suggestion? How about putting the mix into a pie pan that you will use to bake it in? Freeze in pie pan. When frozen remove and vacuum seal, return to freezer. That way when you're ready to use it, you can just pop it into a pie shell and bake!