Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make a batch of these biscuits and freeze them until you are ready to bake. Cost less and taste better than the canned. I found this at HillbillyHousewife.com.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add shortening and cut with a fork or pastry cutter. Do not overmix. The shortening should resemble small peas.
- Stir in buttermilk until the dough is soft. Knead dough 10 to 12 times only.
- On a floured surface roll the dough 1" thick. Cut into circles using a biscuit cutter or the rim of a glass. Use a larger circle for big size biscuits.
- To freeze, place the biscuit dough on a large pan lined with waxed or parchment paper and freeze overnight. Once frozen, place in a large freezer bag and store in freezer until ready to cook.
- To cook, take out the desired number of biscuits and place on a lightly greased baking sheet or pan. Bake in preheated 450 degree oven for about 10 minutes until golden brown.