Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
These flaky sausage foldovers can be made ahead of time, making them great for parties.
- 6 ounces bulk hot pork sausage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 15 ounces refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. In skillet, cook sausage over medium high heat 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until thoroughly cooked; drain well. Stir in garlic powder and 1/4 cup of the pizza sauce.
- Remove 1 crust from pouch. On work surface, roll into 15-inch round. With 3-inch round cutter, cut 11 rounds. Repeat with second crust.
- Spoon about 1 t sausage mixture onto each round. Fold each in half; seal edges with fork. Cut small slit in top of each with sharp knife. Place on ungreased large cookie sheet. Brush each foldover with beaten egg. If desired, cut decorative shapes from remaining dough and attach with beaten egg.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, heat remaining pizza sauce until hot. Serve warm appetizers with warm pizza sauce for dipping.
- To make ahead, follow the recipe directions through step 3. Freeze the foldovers on the cookie sheet until firm, then transfer to a resealable freezer plastic bag. Use within two months.
- To serve, remove the desired number of appetizers from the bag and bake according to the recipe directions, adding about 5 minutes.
Really easy recipe! Tha kids really liked these and I will definitely make them again. Thanks!
It doesn't get any easier than this, and tasty too! I left out the garlic powder since my homemade sauce is very garlicky already. Hot italian sausage was perfect. Thanks, Lainey. I'll be making these again.
These were nice but somewhat plain. Next time I will make my own sauce rather than use a canned pizza sauce. Still a handy recipe as they can be frozen for a quick appetizer.