Chimichangas any way you want them: right now or later, baked or fried. From BH&G
Make and share this Make Ahead Chimichangas recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb cooked beef or 1 lb pork or 1 lb chicken
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced green chili peppers
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) envelope burrito seasoning mix or 1 (1 1/2 ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix
- 16 flour tortillas, 7 or 8 inch
- 16 ounces monterey jack cheese or 16 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into sixteen 5 x 1/2 inch sticks
- salsa (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- cooked rice (optional)
- cooking oil (optional)
- Using two forks, shred cooked meat or chicken (should have about 3 cups).
- In a large skillet combine meat or chicken, salsa, beans, undrained chili peppers, and seasoning mix.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through.
- In another skillet heat tortillas, one at a time, over medium-low heat about 30 seconds per side.
- For each chimichanga, place 1/3 cup meat mixture atop a tortilla, near one edge.
- Top with a cheese stick.
- Fold in sides; roll up, starting with cheese side.
- Bake, covered, in 350 degree F.
- oven for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10 minutes more or until heated through.
- Serve with salsa, dairy sour cream, and hot cooked rice, if desired.
- Make-Ahead Tip: To freeze, place chimichangas in freezer containers.
- Seal, label, and freeze for up to 6 months.
- To prepare, wrap frozen chimichangas individually in foil.
- Bake in a 350 degree F.
- oven about 50 minutes or until heated through.
- (Or, thaw chimichangas in refrigerator overnight. Bake about 30 minutes.) Unwrap.
- Bake 10 minutes more or until tortilla is crisp and brown.
- Or, heat about 1/4-inch depth of oil in a skillet.
- Cook desired number of frozen chimichangas, uncovered, in hot oil about 25 minutes (about 18 minutes if thawed) over medium-low heat or until golden, turning often.