Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
I tried this one over the weekend to good "reviews" from my family. It's a little putzy, but I saved some time by cooking the rice and chicken at the same time, then making the sauce while the chicken cooled, then doing the veggies after I did the chicken. At any rate - it was worth the putzing. It says it serves six, but with us all going back for more,it was almost gone.
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter or 2 -3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions (I used more)
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 3⁄4 teaspoon dry basil
- 3 -4 cups cubed chicken breasts or 3 -4 cups turkey breast
- salt and pepper
parmesan cheese sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- In a saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add rice,and cook on low till liquid is absorbed - about 20 minutes. Place in a lightly oiled or sprayed 4-quart casserole.
- While rice is cooking, make Parmesan Cheese sauce and set aside.
- Preheat oven to *350. In a skillet melt butter. Add the mushrooms.bell pepper,onion,and almonds. Saute until soft-about 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and basil.Add to the rice in the casserole along with the chicken and Parmesan Cheese sauce and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake,covered, until bubbly - about 45 minutes. Serve immediately.
- PARMESAN CHEESE SAUCE.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter or margarine.Add flour and salt and stir until blended. Add broth and stir until slightly thickened. Add milk,wine and Parmesan cheese, and stir until smooth and flavors are blended - about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.