Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is completely prepared and refrigerated overnight which makes it a great weekend brunch casserole :)
Top Review by Elizabeth F.
I made this for Christmas Eve morning brunch and was able to do the prep the night before. It was delicious! Everyone enjoyed it. I actually had to make two different sides (one with only mushrooms and one with only peppers and neutral middle zone )
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 2 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 lb fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 small chopped yellow onion (or use 6 green onions, chopped)
- 1 small green bell peppers or 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups fully-cooked cubed ham
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups half-and-half cream or 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1⁄4 teaspoon white salt
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch caserole dish.
- Sprinkle 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or Swiss cheese into the bottom of the casserole dish.
- In a skillet melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add in mushrooms, onion and and bell pepper; cook stirring until softened and the mushroom loose their moisture, then stir in chopped ham.
- Sprinkle the mixture over the cheese.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs with flour, half and half cream or milk, salt and pepper; pour over the ham mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from fridge 30 minutes before baking.
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle about 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese on top and allow to melt.
- Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.