Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
These take only minutes to prepare on your food processor, better make a ton of these buttery thin crackers, I assure you they won't even make it to the freezer lol! The dough can be frozen the wrapped tightly in plastic wrap then in foil and frozen for up to 3 months. The garlic powder is optional, if you are a garlic-lover then add it in!
Top Review by Abby Girl
I am kinda on the fence with this recipe. These were very good, but I found these a bit on the rich side. I did a tester batch in my little toaster oven and thought for appearance sake that they looked better cooked on both sides. These were made up for 2 different occasions and my guests would have some, but then gravitate towards other appetizers. I think there are other appitizer recipes I would try before I came back to this one. Sorry, Kitten
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 3⁄4 lb grated old cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 teaspoons coarse black pepper (can use more or less)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (can use slightly less salt if desired)
- kosher salt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor blend the softened butter with shredded cheese, egg yolk, black pepper and garlic powder (if using) process until smooth; add in flour, dried mustard powder, and salt; process until just combined.
- Place the dough onto a clean work surface.
- Divide into three potions.
- Transfer each section to wax paper and shape each section into about 7-inch logs, about 1-1/2 inch thick.
- Chill the logs until very firm (about 3 hours).
- At this point you can place the logs on flat sheet and freeze until firm, wrap in plastic wrap then tightly in foil and freeze up to 3 months.
- Set oven to 350 degrees (rack set to middle position).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.Slice the cold dough into about 1/8-inch thick.
- Arrange each slice on baking sheet 1-inch apart.
- Sprinkle very lightly with kosher salt if desired.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.