Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
One of our favourite weekend meals
- 2 cups white bread, cubed
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 ounce green onion, chopped
- 1 ounce green pepper, diced
- 2 ounces tomatoes, seeded & diced
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, fried & crumbled
- Generously grease 13 x 9 pan.
- Arrange bread cubes in bottom of dish.
- Layer cheese, green onions, green pepper, mushrooms and tomatoes on top of bread.
- In large bowl, combine eggs, milk, and seasonings; mix well.
- Pour egg mixture over bread, and sprinkle bacon evenly over top.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat oven to 325F degrees.
- Bake uncovered 50 to 60 minutes or until center is set.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
I followed Bergy's advice on cutting back the milk, but it still came out a little too soggy. And it tasted pretty bland to me.
So easy and so good - the only thing I changed (believe it or not Miller) was to cup back the milk to 1 1/2 cups. and I sprinkled the bacon on the casserole just before putting it in the oven Wonderful to get it ready in the evening and then just pop it in for brunch. I served this one dish meal with fresh fruit salad for starters, home pan fried potatoes, fresh scones, homemade strawberry jam and Tim Hortons coffee - no complaints from any one. This dish is really a whole meal and you do not need to serve anything along with it Thanks Miller