Recipe by Chandra M
*All measurements are approximate; adjust according to your preferences. You can also add chopped jalapenos or a can of chopped green chili if you want spicier burritos. Do not heat the wrapped burrito in a plastic bag-the paper towel will molecularly bond with the burrito :) Also do not let the burrito sit for too long once heated as the paper towel will be difficult to remove.
Top Review by QueenOf1211
Fantastic! Easy!! I did not use Chorizo, just regular bacon. Also, used a frozen bag of mixed peppers and onions so I didn't have to chop the onion. I used Simply Potatoes w/onions (not frozen) and they took quite a while to cook through. I also mixed salsa, cheese and everything together in one pan before filling, it made it quick and easy to put together. Served with frozen fruit / juice smoothie. Both kids and hubby LOVED it!
- 1 lb turkey chorizo
- 1 (12 ounce) package turkey bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced (or to taste)
- 1 (16 ounce) package o'brien frozen potatoes
- 8 ounces bell peppers, strips (frozen ones work just fine)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (12 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 12 eggs
- 1⁄8 cup milk
- salt & pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) jar salsa (or to taste)
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese (any type you like, I used cheddar or MoJack blend)
- 24 wheat flour tortillas (can vary depending on how much filling you put in each)
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove chorizo from casing & crumble into frying pan (should resemble hamburger texture when cooked).
- Cook until done/browned.
- Remove from pan & set aside.
- Cook bacon until crisp, set on paper towel to drain excess fat.
- When cool, crumble bacon & set aside.
- There should be very little grease left in pan, add enough olive oil to get to about 2 tablespoons
- Add onions & cook until translucent.
- Add garlic & potatoes to the onions.
- Cook until potatoes are to your desired crispness. (It may be necessary to add more oil during cooking, but be careful as too much will make the potatoes soggy.).
- Mix the pepper strips, corn, and black beans into the potatoes.
- Heat until they are no longer frozen. Set pan aside.
- Beat eggs, splash of milk, salt, and pepper in a bowl until mixed well.
- In non-stick pan, scramble eggs until dry.
- In a large bowl or one of the pans, whatever will hold everything , combine the potato mixture, chorizo, bacon, and eggs.
- Prepare a large cookie sheet (but small enough to fit in the freezer), by lining it with waxed paper to prevent the burritos from sticking.
- Take about 3 soup spoonfuls of mixture and spread along the middle of the tortilla.
- Take care not to get it too close to the ends.
- Spoon some salsa along the filling.
- Top with cheese.
- Fold one side over & roll.
- Set on cookie sheet.
- When the cookie sheet is full, place in freezer until the burritos are frozen (at least 3 hours).
- Take out of freezer; wrap each burrito in a paper towel.
- Place wrapped burritos in a zip lock bag in the freezer.
- To re-heat, place frozen burrito in the microwave (in the paper towel) for 2-3 minutes until hot.
- Let set for one minute before eating.