Recipe by Lizzymommy
Delicious to have on hand, this bean filling can be used for so much more than tacos or burritos: As a casserole filling, part of a mexican layer dip, lettuce wraps (add some shredded jicama!) etc. You could also modify the flavor profile by adding some fried plantains. If you like, you can wrap up the burritos ahead of time, flash freeze on non-stick trays, and store in freezer bags. I just prefer to thaw the filling and wrap as needed. Don't skip the cinnamon - it really makes the dish!
Top Review by Ultracube
Fast, easy, flexible, freezable and delicious - absolutely fantastic! I used leftover brown rice and shredded Mexican cheese, and used the mix for burritos to freeze and take to work - they froze and rethawed in the microwave beautifully (or as well as anything thaws in the microwave!). I had leftover filling, so I froze that to use later, and the second batch of burritos, made weeks later, were just as good!
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, to taste)
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans pinto beans
- 4 cups frozen sweet corn
- 1 (10 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 limes, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine rice, water and seasonings in a saucepan, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until tender. All the water might not be evaporated. Don't worry about this.
- Remove from heat, and cool.
- Place black beans and pinto beans into a colander or strainer, and rinse.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add corn, onion, spices and salsa, and toss to mix.
- Mix in rice and cheese.
- Fill quart-sized freezer bags with 3 cups of this mixture. That works best for our family of 5. Freeze.
- Defrost and heat through before filling tacos or burritos. 1/2 cup serving per taco-sized tortilla works very well. Serve with sour cream and/or salsa, and fresh cilantro.