Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I love cooked carrots and I love creamed veggies, so this is one of my favorites. Originally from Esther Shank's Mennonite cookbook, tweaked a bit by me.
- If not making ahead of time, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 1 1/2 qt baking dish.
- Peel and slice carrots. Cover with salted water and bring to a boil, cook for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and place in baking dish.
- Meanwhile, saute onion in butter over medium heat until translucent.
- Add flour to onions, stirring to incorporate. Then slowly add milk, stirring as you go. Add salt, sugar and dry mustard and stir again.
- Pour white sauce over carrots. Combine bread crumbs and melted butter, sprinkle over top of casserole.
- If making ahead, cover casserole and put in fridge until needed. Remove 1/2 hour before coooking and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Pretty tasty. I used shredded carrots - because I had some extra from another project - and cooked them about 5 min in the boiling water. I also didn't have cream so just used regular 2% milk. I also used italian bread crumbs. Thanks
These are sooo good! My guests loved them. I used half-and-half instead of milk and cream (it's cheaper). The baked dish comes out with a very thick white sauce even though it doesn't look that way before baking. And btw, I have that same cookbook, Puppitypup! I've just never used this recipe! Thanks for sharing!
Oh yes, these were marvellous, cooked to perfection and served in a smooth creamy sauce, we loved these! Didn't take me long to prepare and then pop in the oven as the other dishes baked. looks as good as they taste, but I forgot to take a photo :( next time for sure! I will DEFINITELY be making them again! good to know that this would be easy to make ahead, a very good dish for entertaining. thanks, puppitypup!