I love cooked carrots and I love creamed veggies, so this is one of my favorites. Originally from Esther Shank's Mennonite cookbook, tweaked a bit by me.
- If not making ahead of time, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 1 1/2 qt baking dish.
- Peel and slice carrots. Cover with salted water and bring to a boil, cook for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and place in baking dish.
- Meanwhile, saute onion in butter over medium heat until translucent.
- Add flour to onions, stirring to incorporate. Then slowly add milk, stirring as you go. Add salt, sugar and dry mustard and stir again.
- Pour white sauce over carrots. Combine bread crumbs and melted butter, sprinkle over top of casserole.
- If making ahead, cover casserole and put in fridge until needed. Remove 1/2 hour before coooking and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.