Recipe by puppitypup
I love cooked carrots and I love creamed veggies, so this is one of my favorites. Originally from Esther Shank's Mennonite cookbook, tweaked a bit by me.
Top Review by Ceezie
Pretty tasty. I used shredded carrots - because I had some extra from another project - and cooked them about 5 min in the boiling water. I also didn't have cream so just used regular 2% milk. I also used italian bread crumbs. Thanks
- 1 lb carrot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- If not making ahead of time, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 1 1/2 qt baking dish.
- Peel and slice carrots. Cover with salted water and bring to a boil, cook for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and place in baking dish.
- Meanwhile, saute onion in butter over medium heat until translucent.
- Add flour to onions, stirring to incorporate. Then slowly add milk, stirring as you go. Add salt, sugar and dry mustard and stir again.
- Pour white sauce over carrots. Combine bread crumbs and melted butter, sprinkle over top of casserole.
- If making ahead, cover casserole and put in fridge until needed. Remove 1/2 hour before coooking and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.