I was looking for make ahead appetizer for the holidays and found this one. It's hard enough during those times to get the "meal" on the table. I thought I'd make it a bit easier on the appetizers!
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet.
- Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown.
- Drain, dice and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove mushroom stems.
- Set aside caps.
- Chop the stems.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Slowly cook and stir the chopped stems and onion until the onion is soft.
- Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the mushroom stem mixture, bacon and 1 cup Cheddar.
- Mix well and scoop the mixture into the mushroom caps.
- Bake in the preheated oven 15 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Put into the oven for a couple of seconds to melt if desired.
- To freeze: Flash freeze them before baking in the oven.
- A freezer bag would work great for storing these.
- Let defrost and then add cheese and bake in oven for 15 minutes.