Prep 2 hrs
Cook 8 mins
another recipe from the Apple Barn cider mill in the Great Smoky Mountains...this needs to chill in the refrigerator at least 2 hours...can be held overnight and cooked the following morning
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped apples
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups apple cider
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Combine buttermik and eggs in large bowl and mix well.
- add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda and mix well.
- stir in butter.
- stir in apples and nuts.
- chill covered in refrigerator at least 2 hours or more --
- Pour 1/4 cup at a time onto hot lightly greased griddle.
- bake until golden brown.on both sides, turning once.
- to prepare CIDER SYRUP:.
- combine sugar, cornstarch and pumpkin pie spice in saucepan and mix well.
- stir in cider and lemon juice.
- cook over low heat until mixture thickens, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add butter and stir till melted.