Recipe by Debi
Different macaroni casserole, Greek style from Greek With Gusto! Croutons should be prepared in advance and can be stored in a covered container at room temperature for up to two weeks.
Top Review by A Good Thing
Nice way to do mac & cheese...though I did find it drier than normal mac & cheese. The croÃ»tons on the bottom get lost in all the juice as do the ones on top. If I make this again, I will use all the croÃ»tons on the very top (after I've poured the liquid mixture in and put the feta on top) to keep them crispy. Made for ZWT4. (-:
- 3⁄4 lb macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 cups croutons
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain, toss with melted butter and 1/2 cup of crumbled feta. Set aside.
- Lightly oil a 9 x 13 casserole, sprinkle with another 1/2 cup of feta and half the croutons. Spread the macaroni mixtuer over this and top with remaining croutons.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. In a separate bowl beat egg yolks lightly. Fold egg yolks into egg whites. Stir in milk, pour mixture over macaroni.
- Sprinkle with remaining feta and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- To Prepare Croutons:.
- Cut half a loaf of day old bread into small bits and toss in a skillet over medium-high heat with 2 Tbsp olive oil and 2 Tbsp of butter. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 250°F Store, in covered container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.