Recipe by Rita~
This is a ease into eating something most are not used to. Purple potatoes originated in South America. It's striking pigment is its nutritional life force, thanks to the antioxidant powerhouse anthocyanin, which is responsible for the purple and blue color of fruits and vegetables. Anthocyanin a flavonoid has been shown in studies to possess anti-cancer and heart-protective effects, as well as benefits like boosting the immune system and protecting against age-related memory loss. Research by the USDA Agricultural Research Service found that potatoes with the darkest colors have more than four times the antioxidant potential of those with lighter skin and flesh.
Top Review by Elmotoo
Very good! Easy with a food processor, lol. I cooked it 60 minutes & there were a few bites that would have benefited from more time. Love the crunchy top! Family wished there was more cheese. Jeez, I used an entire block (8oz ) even though it was more than 2c. I subbed a large shallot for the red onion. No leftovers! Thank you, Rita! Made for winner of Sun & Spice Event veggie finder. :)
- 3 medium russet potatoes (1 lb sliced very thin)
- 3 medium purple potatoes (1 lb sliced very thin)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 red onion (sliced thin)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 cup low-fat milk
- 1 good grating nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded natural sharp cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- 1⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon parmigiano-reggiano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Oil bottom of a casserole pan.
- Melt butter in microwave oven. Mix in flour and then whisk in milk. Microwave 2 minute to slightly thicken. Stir in nutmeg, pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Place the white and purple sliced potatoes into separate bowls.
- Mix half of the red onion and garlic with each of the potatoes. Drizzle with olive oil just to coat and sprinkle with seasoned salt to taste and black pepper.
- Toss to separate the slices and coat them with the oil and seasonings.
- Layer half of the purple potatoes in the casserole dish then place 1/4 of the cheese over the layer of purple potatoes; layer 1/2 the white potatoes over the layer of cheese then top with 1/4 of the cheese. Repeat with remaining potatoes and cheese.
- Pour the white sauce over the potatoes and using a knife help it into the layers.
- Mix the panko and Parmesan cheese together and then sprinkle on top of the sauce.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes.