1/2 Photos of Majestic Potatoes Au Gratin
1 hr 5 mins
This is a ease into eating something most are not used to. Purple potatoes originated in South America. It's striking pigment is its nutritional life force, thanks to the antioxidant powerhouse anthocyanin, which is responsible for the purple and blue color of fruits and vegetables. Anthocyanin a flavonoid has been shown in studies to possess anti-cancer and heart-protective effects, as well as benefits like boosting the immune system and protecting against age-related memory loss. Research by the USDA Agricultural Research Service found that potatoes with the darkest colors have more than four times the antioxidant potential of those with lighter skin and flesh.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium russet potatoes (1 lb sliced very thin)
- 3 medium purple potatoes (1 lb sliced very thin)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 red onion (sliced thin)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/8 cup low-fat milk
- 1 good grating nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded natural sharp cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 375.
- 2Oil bottom of a casserole pan.
- 3Melt butter in microwave oven. Mix in flour and then whisk in milk. Microwave 2 minute to slightly thicken. Stir in nutmeg, pepper flakes. Set aside.
- 4Place the white and purple sliced potatoes into separate bowls.
- 5Mix half of the red onion and garlic with each of the potatoes. Drizzle with olive oil just to coat and sprinkle with seasoned salt to taste and black pepper.
- 6Toss to separate the slices and coat them with the oil and seasonings.
- 7Layer half of the purple potatoes in the casserole dish then place 1/4 of the cheese over the layer of purple potatoes; layer 1/2 the white potatoes over the layer of cheese then top with 1/4 of the cheese. Repeat with remaining potatoes and cheese.
- 8Pour the white sauce over the potatoes and using a knife help it into the layers.
- 9Mix the panko and Parmesan cheese together and then sprinkle on top of the sauce.
- 10Bake for 45-60 minutes.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Majestic Potatoes Au Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.3
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 50.5 mg
- Sodium 299.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: