1/2 Photos of Maja Blanca (Filipino White Pudding)
1 hr 15 mins
I tried this coconut-flavored treat when I needed something to take to a pot luck for my Filipino-American Experience class. It comes from Phillipine Recipes Made Easy (which seems to have a lot of authentic Filipino dishes). It seems to be just like the Hawaiian Haupia to me, except some Haupias have fruit mixed in. To dilute coconut milk, use 1/2-3/4 cup water to every 1 cup of milk. Make sure you use coconut MILK and NOT coconut CREAM or JUICE. Also, be sure to vigorously shake the can of milk before opening it or you will end up with separated layers that won't blend as well when heated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Lightly grease an 8" square or round pan with vegetable oil and set aside.
- 2In a non-stick pan over medium heat, bring coconut milk and sugar to a gentle boil, blending well.
- 3In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water throughly until smooth. Slowly add this mixture, stirring fast until thickened (about 2-4 minutes) and fully cooked. Make sure to stir continuously or it may scorch on the bottom.
- 4Transfer into the prepared pan and let cool until firmly set. Slice diagonally into serving pieces.Sprinkle toasted coconut topping on maja just before eating to retain the crunch.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maja Blanca (Filipino White Pudding)
Serving Size: 1 (82 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.0
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 46.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 44.4 g
- Protein 0.9 g