Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mother gave me a superb Italian cookbook many, many years ago. It has a great savoury butter recipe. I have given variations for the different butters. Slices of butter can be used to garnish steaks, chops, chicken, fish or vegetables and I have also used it in sandwiches and canapes. And best of all it can be frozen!
- 100 g butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- white pepper
- Cream the butter and mix it with the parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Roll the butter in a cylinder or tube shape, wrap in foil and chill on the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- When ready, cut into slices to serve.
- ANCHOVY BUTTER~ Flavour the butter with 40gr of drained and finely chopped anchovy fillets.
- GARLIC BUTTER~ Flavour the butter with 3 crushed garlic cloves,
- GORGONZOLA BUTTER~ Mix the butter with 60gr Gorgonzola cheese.
- MUSTARD BUTTER ~ Mix the butter with 1 tablespoon of mustard. (your flavour/strength to taste).
- PRAWN BUTTER~ Mince or grind 40g of cooked, peeled prawns. Mix with the butter.
- SMOKED SALMON BUTTER~ Mince or grind 25gr of smoked salmon, and mix with the butter.
- TUNA BUTTER~ Mince or grind 50gr of drained canned tuna in brine or oil with the butter.
I made a half recipe and used the garlic butter alternative and then used the mix to make a herbal/garlic bread which we had with spaghetti and meatballs and salad and was enjoyed by all, thank you Tisme made for Make My Recipe tag game.
Very easy to make and really adds to the flavor of whatever you are putting it on. I made this into the garlic butter version by adding minced garlic. I used this flavorful butter on mashed potatoes, green beans and even broccoli. All were yummy. I can't wait to try this on a nice grilled steak. Made for June 2011 Aus/NZ Swap.
Excellent - we like it on green beans and on broccoli for a change of pace