Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This pie is the perfect end to a summer meal! I adapted it slightly from a recipe in Coastal New England Summertime Cooking by Sherri Eldridge. I prefer it the second day, after the flavors have had time to meld together. Yum! Cook time includes time for blueberry mixture to sit. You can also dot the top with a small amount of margarine or butter before adding the second crust for a slightly richer texture and flavor.
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie (either storebought or your own recipe)
- 4 cups wild blueberries (I used regular)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon quick dry tapioca
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon milk or 1 tablespoon soymilk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F Spray 9-inch pie plate with non-stick spray. Place bottom crust in pie plate.
- Clean fresh blueberries (if canned or frozen set to drain) and put in bowl. In a separate bowl, mix sugars, tapioca, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Sprinkle lemon juice on blueberries, then gently fold into sugar mixture. Let sit 45 minutes, then gently stir again. Pour into pie shell.
- Cover with second crust. Crimp edges with fingers and flute. Make 5 small slits on top. Brush top with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 10 minutes at 400. Reduce heat to 350 and bake 25 minutes more.
An excellent tasting pie that we all enjoyed. Of course I used Maine blueberries to make it extra special. I plan on making another one this week!
This blueberry pie has a wonderful flavor that we really enjoyed. I did add some freshly grated lemon zest. Based on the other review, I increased the amount of tapioca to 3 tablespoons. Thanks for posting, we will make this again!
This is super good!!!! I love the filling ingredients!!! The flavor is phenomenal!!!!!! I used a sweet crust recipe and that made it even better!! I used Electric Mixer Sweet Butter Pie Crust recipe by Grace at Sweet Grace's here on Zaar. I thought that blueberry pie needed longer to bake but this turned out great in the 35 minutes for this recipe. Thanks for a wonderful recipe for blueberry pie, will make this one again !!!!