Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Moody's Restaurant in Waldoboro, Maine this was reviewed by Bobby Flaye in an episode entitled "Coastal Maine".
FOR THE PIES
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 1⁄2 cups shortening
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups marshmallow cream
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, or preheat a convection oven to 315 degrees F.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the sugar, butter, and eggs together until well combined. Add the oil and vanilla and beat again.
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. Add half of the dry mixture to the egg mixture and beat or stir to blend. Add 1 1/2 cups milk and beat again. Add the remaining dry mixture and beat until incorporated. Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups milk and beat until blended.
- With a large spoon, scoop out 32 circles of batter onto a baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool.
- FILLING: In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine all ingredients except the milk and beat well. Add just enough milk to achieve a creamy consistency. Spread filling across cooled cookie circles. Spread filling onto 16 circles and place remaining circles on top, to make 16 Whoopie Pies.
Wish I could have given this recipe 0 stars. It is total GARBAGE. DO NOT MAKE. Cookies have 4 times too much cocoa powder, among other recipe mistakes...like the fact that it makes 100 cookies or cookies the size of a dinner plate if you follow the recipe.
Look no further. The absolute best whoopie pie I have ever had! I must say, any of the other whoopie pies I've had from gourmet bakeries to local stores, have nothing on this recipe. I now walk by these treats in stores knowing I can make better ones at home. THANK YOU for sharing.
I used the frosting recipe only, it came out wonderful and not too sweet, just rightr! Moody's Diner in Waldoboro ME rules!