Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Moody's Restaurant in Waldoboro, Maine this was reviewed by Bobby Flaye in an episode entitled "Coastal Maine".
FOR THE PIES
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 1⁄2 cups shortening
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups marshmallow cream
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, or preheat a convection oven to 315 degrees F.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the sugar, butter, and eggs together until well combined. Add the oil and vanilla and beat again.
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. Add half of the dry mixture to the egg mixture and beat or stir to blend. Add 1 1/2 cups milk and beat again. Add the remaining dry mixture and beat until incorporated. Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups milk and beat until blended.
- With a large spoon, scoop out 32 circles of batter onto a baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool.
- FILLING: In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine all ingredients except the milk and beat well. Add just enough milk to achieve a creamy consistency. Spread filling across cooled cookie circles. Spread filling onto 16 circles and place remaining circles on top, to make 16 Whoopie Pies.
Wish I could have given this recipe 0 stars. It is total GARBAGE. DO NOT MAKE. Cookies have 4 times too much cocoa powder, among other recipe mistakes...like the fact that it makes 100 cookies or cookies the size of a dinner plate if you follow the recipe.
Look no further. The absolute best whoopie pie I have ever had! I must say, any of the other whoopie pies I've had from gourmet bakeries to local stores, have nothing on this recipe. I now walk by these treats in stores knowing I can make better ones at home. THANK YOU for sharing.
I used the frosting recipe only, it came out wonderful and not too sweet, just rightr! Moody's Diner in Waldoboro ME rules!