1/1 Photo of Maine Multi-Spice Cookies(Maine Chewies)
Adapted from Yankee magazine. Supposedly a version of this recipe is served on board the "Mary Day," a schooner from Maine. Any cookie with cardamom in it is a cookie for me. These are by far the best tasting spice cookies I have ever tried. Please use a wooden spoon to mix the dough - an electric mixer might make the dough too tough.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sweet unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda (really that much)
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1Combine butter, sugar, all 5 spices, and salt in a large mixing bowl, mixing well with a wooden spoon.
- 2Dissolve baking soda in the warm water and then stir into the butter mixture.
- 3Stir in the molasses and the lightly beaten egg, mixing well.
- 4Add flour,1 cup at a time, stirring to mix- the dough will be quite stiff (be sure to scrape all the way down to the bottom of the bowl to mix evenly).
- 5Scoop the dough into walnut sized lumps (about 1 Tbsp or so) and drop onto greased or parchment-lined baking sheets, about 2" apart.
- 6Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 8-12 minutes, or until crackled and browned. They will look very, very soft in the middles but as long as you can lift them with a spatula they are ready.
- 7Let cool 1 minute on pans before carefully lifting with a spatula to cooling racks.
- 8Finished cookies should be somewhat chewy.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maine Multi-Spice Cookies(Maine Chewies)
Serving Size: 1 (26 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 54
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 106.0
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 12.9 mg
- Sodium 93.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 1.1 g