Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Onion sauce is inspired by that of Flo's Famous Steamed Dogs, although it cannot be duplicated.
Make and share this Maine Hot Dogs recipe from Food.com.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and add onion.
- Decrease heat and saute, stirring occasionally, about 20-24 minutes, or until onion is soft and translucent.
- Stir in barbecue sauce, red pepper flakes, and water.
- Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Assembly--place hot dogs in warm buns and add Onion Sauce, mayonnaise, mustard, chopped onion, and a sprinkling of celery salt.
- Serve immediately.