Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Onion sauce is inspired by that of Flo's Famous Steamed Dogs, although it cannot be duplicated.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup k.c. original barbecue sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon water
- beef-and-pork hot dog (steamed or grilled)
- hog dog bun (steamed or toasted)
- chopped onion
- celery salt
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and add onion.
- Decrease heat and saute, stirring occasionally, about 20-24 minutes, or until onion is soft and translucent.
- Stir in barbecue sauce, red pepper flakes, and water.
- Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Assembly--place hot dogs in warm buns and add Onion Sauce, mayonnaise, mustard, chopped onion, and a sprinkling of celery salt.
- Serve immediately.