Recipe by Maine-iac
A local favorite and a meal in itself! Wonderful in the cold months!
Top Review by children from A to Z
This was delicious! The only change I made was I cooked the meat in the dutch oven then removed from pan and followed the rest of the recipe. I don't care for cooking meat in the microwave. I also used cooking sherry instead of red wine, that's all I had on hand. This makes a lot. I still have enough leftover for 2 more meals for a family of 5. Thanks for a great recipe, will be making this often!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 -5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large green pepper
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 medium fresh carrots, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 5 cans beef broth
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cans red kidney beans (or your favorite)
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups elbow macaroni
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, sauté garlic and veggies in olive oil until tender.
- Microwave ground beef, drain, and add to veggies.
- Add beef broth, tomatoes, wine, beans, and frozen veggies.
- Add oregano, Worcestershire sauce, and salt& pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 1 hour.
- Return to a boil, add macaroni, and cook until noodles are tender.
- Serve with warm, crusty bread.