Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 cup cashews, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup peanuts, unsalted
- 1 cup whole grain breadcrumbs, dry
- 3 eggs (or egg replacer for 3 eggs)
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 4 cups tomato sauce or 4 cups spaghetti sauce
- Place the sunflower seeds, cashews and peanuts in a blender and grind them.
- The size of the ground pieces is not very important, but make sure they are not too big.
- Place the ground nuts in a medium-sized bowl and add the bread crumbs, eggs, garlic, tamari, celery seed, and basil.
- Mix well and shape the mixture into walnut-sized balls.
- Place the tomato sauce in a large pot and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Drop the balls into the sauce.
- Cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
You really need to change the name of this recipe, lol... I made these for some guests one night and they literally spit some out from laughter. How about using the word "croquette" instead of balls? Sounds fancier (and less ends up on the floor from laughter!).
Easy. Nice flavor. Great Texture. Went surprisingly well in spaghetti sauce for "spaghetti and meatballs," I suspect it will be even better in curry.