Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This makes a great hearty soup. Serve it with some good French bread and you have a meal!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage, sliced or crumbled
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (or 19 oz can)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup cooked or canned kidney bean
- 1⁄2 cup elbow macaroni (or other pasta)
- In large heavy saucepan, heat oil and butter.
- Add sausage; brown lightly.
- Add onion, garlic, celery, carrot and green pepper; cook until softened but not browned.
- Stir in parsley, basil, thyme, bay leaf and a little salt& pepper.
- Stir in tomatoes and stock.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add cabbage, beans and macaroni.
- Cover and simmer about 30 minutes.
- If too thick, dilute with water to desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- A nice variation on this soup is to add ground beef instead of sausage, and beef stock instead of chicken stock.
- Add 3/4 cup dried lentils and 1/4 cup barley instead of macaroni and kidney beans.
This was a lovely, hearty soup. My 3-year old devoured his share and then started stealing out of our bowls! Just the thing to warm you up on a grey spring day.