Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This dish is high in protein and calcium and a great way to use up leftover vegetables (the cooked ones on this list are more an idea, use whatever you want or have). Turkey makes a nice substitute for the chicken or leave it out altogether for a vegetarian dish. Thinly sliced radishes make a nice colorful topping and croutons, crackers, cereal, and pretzels make nice crunchy toppings.
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄4 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 cup cheese, shredded
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast (cubed & cooked)
- 1⁄4 cup long-grain rice (cooked)
- 2 potatoes (cubed & cooked)
- 1⁄4 cup celery (cubed & cooked)
- 1⁄3 cup carrot (cubed & cooked)
- 1⁄3 cup peas (cooked)
- 1⁄2 cup corn (cooked)
- 1⁄2 cup broccoli (cooked)
- In a sauce pan, melt the margarine, add the onions, and cook until tender.
- Blend in flour until mixture is smooth.
- Add milk, seasonings, cheese, meat, rice and vegetables and cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly.