Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I did a search and found that there are oodles of recipes for hamburger soup on Recipezaar, but decided to post this one anyway because it's just too good not to share! I had a craving for it one recent rainy day and it sure hit the spot.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup, diluted with one can of water
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- Fry ground beef and onion with salt and pepper until browned.
- Add beef broth, tomato soup and water.
- Add prepared veggies, parsley flakes and bay leaf and simmer until veggies are tender (15 to 20 minutes).
- If you have any leftover tomatoes (fresh, frozen or canned) or tomato sauce add that while cooking the veggies.
- Remove bay leaf and add a splash of cream before serving.
- This soup is quite thick. For a thinner consistency add more beef broth or another tin of tomato soup.
We loved this recipe! Really tasty and filling. We ate every drop! Thanks so much!
This was a great way to use up some leftover cooked hamburger. Hubby and I were sick so this soup was wonderful and easy.
This was delicious. I didn't want to use the other recipes that included onion soup mix and this one was great. I made two additions -- I added a squirt, two or three of worcestershire sauce and about a teaspoon or two of red wine vinegar. Excellent. Thanks for recipe CrystalB!!